|Volume 1: Instrumental Driving Music For Felons|
|Extended play by The Desert Sessions|
|Released||November 18 1997|
|Recorded||5 - 12 August 1997 at Rancho De La Luna in Joshua Tree, California|
|Genre||Desert Rock, Stoner Rock, Experimental Rock, Alternative Rock|
|Label||Man's Ruin Records|
|The Desert Sessions chronology|
| 'Debut Release' |
| Volume 1: Instrumental Driving Music For Felons |
| Volume 2: Ships Commander Butchered |
The first two Desert Sessions EPs were recorded in sessions between August 5 and 12, 1997 at Rancho De La Luna in Joshua Tree, California, a studio founded by Fred Drake and Dave Catching. The tracks on Volume 1 were engineered by Drake, with Catching and Tony Mason assisting, and featured a total of nine credited musicians: Josh Homme, John McBain (both guitars and keyboards), Ben Shepherd (bass), Alfredo Hernández, Brant Bjork (both drums), The Reverend Ponce Jones, Pete Stahl (both vocals), Drake (guitars, drums, keyboards) and Catching (bass, piano, guitar). Homme mixed the album, and it was mastered by Tom Baker at Future Disc in Hollywood, Los Angeles, California.
Volume 1 was initially released alone on vinyl by Man's Ruin Records on November 18, 1997. It later received a re-release with its follow-up, Volume 2: Status: Ships Commander Butchered, on CD on February 24, 1998 as Volumes 1 & 2.
All songs written and composed by "Acquitted Felons".
The two "Girl Boy Tom" tracks are actually part of a single song. "Monkey in the Middle" is crammed between the two tracks with a fade out from "Girl Boy Tom" and fade back into "Girl Boy Tom". Thus the title "Monkey in the Middle" is a sort of play on titles, being the monkey in the middle. Tracks 3, 4 and 5 are unlisted.
- A1. Girl Boy Tom (4:26)
- A2. Monkey in The Middle (2:47)
- A3. Girl Boy Tom (2:52)
- A4. Preaching (0:45)
- B1. Man's Ruin Preach (0:51)
- B2. Cowards Way Out (5:36)
- B3. Robotic Lunch (4:34)
- Josh Homme - Guitars (2, 6, 7), Keyboards (1, 3), Mixing
- John McBain - Guitars (1, 2, 3), Lap Steel Guitar (2), Keyboards (6), Slide Guitar (7)
- Fred Drake - Guitar (1, 3), Drums (2, 6), Keyboards (2, 6), Engineer
- Dave Catching - Bass (1, 3), Electronic Piano (2), Guitar (6), Assitant Engineer
- Ben Shepherd - Bass (2, 6, 7)
- Alfredo Hernández - Drums (1, 3, 7)
- The Reverend Ponce Jones - Vocals (4, 5)
- Brant Bjork - Drums (7)
- Pete Stahl - Vocals (7)
- Tony Mason - Assistant Engineer
- Tom Baker - Mastering