|Origin||Palm Desert, California, USA|
|Years active||1996 - 1997, 2017|
|Associated acts||Kyuss, Unida, Hermano, Vista Chino, Brave Black Sea, Vega|
|Past members|| John Garcia|
Brief Run (1996-1997)Edit
Slo Burn were formed in 1996 in Palm Desert, California, USA by John Garcia (vocals) in the months after the disbandment of the highly influential stoner rock band Kyuss. The rest of the band included Chris Hale (guitar), Damon Garrison (bass) and Brady Houghton (drums).
The band's first release was a five track demo, released in 1996. Their second release came in April 1997 in the form of the Amusing The Amazing EP which was put out by Malicious Vinyl. Slo Burn shared a similar musical style to Kyuss, not least because of Garcia's vocal performance, but also the production efforts of Chris Goss, who not only worked on Amusing The Amazing but also several of Kyuss' releases. Slo Burn made appearances at festivals during their short run, including Dynamo Festival and touring with Ozzfest, both in 1997. The band decided to split up in September 1997. According to the bio for Brave Black Sea it was stated that Alfredo Hernández briefly joined as a drummer though it's not known if he performed any shows with the band. In interviews since the disbandment of Slo Burn, Garcia has stated that the band had intended to record a full length album had they not split up.
Post Slo BurnEdit
After Slo Burn disbanded, Garcia swiftly went on to form the band Unida, and later would sing with Hermano and Vista Chino. Hale and Garrison went on, years later, to team together in the band Brave Black Sea, which also included Alfredo Hernández who briefly drummed for Kyuss.
Garcia has also revisited Slo Burn songs in his later work. On his tour, Garcia Plays Kyuss, he would often include the song Pilot the Dune in the encore. Also, the track 'All these Walls' on his 2014 solo album is a reworked version of 'Cactus Jumper' from the Slo Burn Demo. Whilst on his solo tour after the release of his solo album, Garcia would also regularly play the song 'July' from Amusing The Amazing.
In 2016, it was announced that Slo Burn would reunite as one of the headliners for DesertFest London, performing songs from Amusing The Amazing along with new songs. The band would also tour Europe in 2017, surrounding appearances at Hellfest and Freak Valley Festival. Lastly Slo Burn would perform at the 2017 edition of Psycho Las Vegas.
- Amusing the Amazing (1997)
- Slo Burn Demo (1996)
- John Garcia - Vocals (1996 - 1997, 2017)
- Chris Hale - Guitar (1996 - 1997, 2017)
- Damon Garrison - Bass (1996 - 1997, 2017)
- Brady Houghton - Drums (1996 - 1997, 2017)
- Alfredo Hernández - Drums (1997)
List of Known ToursEdit
- Amusing The Amazing North American Tour (1997)
- Reunion Performances (2017)
- ↑ Discogs Slo Burn - Amusing the Amazing, accessed July 5th 2015
- ↑ Youtube SLO BURN Live at Dynamo Festival 1997, accessed July 5th 2015
- ↑ Ozzfest History, accessed 5th July 2015
- ↑ Brave Black Sea on Last.fm
- ↑ Brave Black Sea Facebook Info, accessed July 5th 2015
- ↑ Youtube Garcia Plays KYUSS // Pilot The Dune, accessed 5th July 2015
- ↑ Ghost Cult Magazine A sense of Freedom - John Garcia, accessed 5th July 2015
- ↑ Youtube John Garcia - July (ex-Slo Burn) (@ Vulkan Arena, Oslo 05.11.2014), accessed 5th July 2015
|V·T·E Slo Burn|
|Past Members||John Garcia • Chris Hale • Damon Garrison • Brady Houghton|
|Extended Plays||Amusing The Amazing|
|Demos||Slo Burn Demo|
|Associated Bands and Artists||Kyuss • Hermano • Unida|