|Also known as||Wake (1996)|
|Origin||Little Rock, Arkansas, USA|
|Genres||Sludge Metal, Doom Metal, Experimental|
|Years active||1996 - Present|
|Labels||Relapse, At A Loss, Retribute, Shifty|
|Associated acts||Pallbearer, The Obsessed, Sumokem, Ash of Cedars, Deadbird, Mutha's Day Out, Son of Jor-el, Iron Tongue, King Travolta, Napalm Christ, Inner War, Pale Unearthed, Apoc Death, Laser Flames on The Great Big News, Seafood Hotline, Christine, The Hardin Draw, Today is The Day, Nachtmystium, Deadeyejack, Story of The Eye, Mutha's Day Out, Circle of The Black Thorn|
Rwake (Pronounced "Rake") are a sludge metal band originating from Little Rock, Arkansas. Forming in 1996 initially as a quartet the band would over time evolve into a quintet and even a sextet over time. While the band's sound is based in sludge, Rwake manage to incorporate elements of doom, black metal, post-metal, folk and experimental for a more eclectic style of sludge.
Since forming Rwake have released five studio albums amid a host of other releases, frequently touring North America in the 2000s.
Initially going by Wake for a short time, Rwake would form sometime in 1996 with the founding lineup of Jeff Morgan, Kris Graves, Chris Terry and Aaron Mills. Chris Newman and Rob Eaten would join the group, evolving them into a sextet, and release a demo in Xenoglossalgia (The Last Stage of Awareness) circa 1998. Working with Steve Austin (Today Is The Day) the band would self-release their debut album Absence Due to Projection in December 1999.
Little is known of the early days of Rwake but lineups would shift as two more albums would follow in the wake of the debut: 2002's Hell is a Door to The Sun and 2004's If You Walk Before You Crawl You Crawl Before You Die. By 2003 this sextet lineup of Morgan, Graves, Terry, Fugate, Rogers and Raley would serve as the most consistent lineup for years, studio and live. Rwake would tour with Weedeater in 2005 among other gigs.
Signing to Relapse Records on 30 January 2006, beginning work on their fourth studio album in the Summer. Working with Sanford Parker at Volume Studios, Voices of Omens would see release on 20 February 2007 to positive reviews. Rwake would tour through North America extensively through the year of 2007 with further US touring through the Winter of 2008.
Rwake would be relatively quiet through the next few years barring a few mini-tours and appearances at SXSW. With John Judkins taking the place of Reid Raley, Rwake would embark on a Spring North American tour and their first European tour. Working again with Sanford Parker, the band's fifth album Rest saw release on 27 September 2011 to positive reviews. Following a tour of SXSW in 2012 the band would go dormant from the live stage while a new live album A Stone, A Leaf, an Unfound Door would see release in 2015, along with re-issues via Relapse such as Xenoglossalgia in 2015.
- Absence Due to Projection (1999, Self-Released)
- Hell is a Door to The Sun (2002, Retribute)
- If You Walk Before You Crawl You Crawl Before You Die (2004, At A Loss)
- Voices of Omens (2007, Relapse)
- Rest (2011, Relapse)
- Xenoglossalgia (The Last Stage of Awareness) (Demo) (1998, Self-Released; 2015, Relapse)
- Sloth / Rwake (Split with Sloth) (2004, Shifty)
- Forge (Single) (2012, Handshake Inc.)
- A Stone, A Leaf, an Unfound Door (Live Album) (2015, Behind The Mountain)
- Jeff Morgan - Drums (1996 - Present)
- Kris Graves aka Gravy - Guitar, Mandolin (1996 - Present)
- Chris Terry aka CT - Vocals, Samples (1996 - Present)
- Brittany Fugate aka The B - Vocals, Moog, Samples (1999 - Present)
- Kiffin Rogers - Guitar (2003 - Present)
- John Judkins - Guitar, Bass, Lap Steel (2011 - Present)
- Aaron Mills - Bass (1996 - 1999)
- Rob Eaten - Vocals (1997 - 1998)
- Reid Raley - Bass (1999 - 2008, 2010 - 2011)
- Chuck Schaaf - Guitar (2002 - 2003)
- Alan Wells - Bass (2009)
List of Known ToursEdit
- The Last Temptation of Crust (With Weedeater) (2005)
- Spring 2007 North American Tour (With Minsk) (2007)
- July 2007 North American Tour (2007)
- October 2007 North American Tour (With Total Fucking Destruction) (2007)
- Death Is This Communion North American Tour (Winter) (With High on Fire, Saviours, A Life Once Lost) (2008)
- 2008 North American Tour (With Complete Failure, Today Is The Day) (2008)
- SXSW Mini Tour (2009)
- November 2009 Mini-Tour (With Shrinebuilder) (2009)
- 2010 SXSW Tour (2010)
- 2010 North American Tour (With Indian) (2010)
- 2011 SXSW Tour (2011)
- 2011 European Tour (With Dragged Into Sunlight) (2011)
- 2011 North American Mini-Tour (2011)
- 2012 SXSW Tour (2012)