Epic Doom Metal.
|Years active||1982 - 1984|
|Associated acts||Candlemass, Krux, The Doomsday Kingdom, Avatarium, Abstrakt Algebra, ATC, Zoic|
Nemesis was a short-lived doom metal band active between 1982 and 1984. Hailing from Stockholm, Sweden, this band could be best seen as a precursor to Candlemass and one of Leif Edling's earliest bands.
Nemesis formed in 1982 in Stockholm and was founded by Leif Edling. The band began recording various rehearsals throughout 1983 and even played live on a couple of occasions, notably alongside the band Mercy (Who featured Messiah Marcolin, future Candlemass vocalist). The band would release a demo entitled Tales of Creation in 1983 (Which would later be released as bonus tracks on the Candlemass album of the same name in the 2000s for it's 2CD reissue.
In 1984 the band would issue their only studio release in The Day of Retribution on 25 September 1984. Edling wrote four of the five songs while Kevin Heybourne (Angel Witch) wrote the fifth track. In late 1984 Nemesis were forced to change their name due to copyright issues. There was a chain of electronic shops in southern Sweden known as Nemesis, whom threatened to sue if the band didn't change their name. Thus in late 1984, Leif Edling would rename his band Candlemass. Notably many of the songs written in the Nemesis days would be re-recorded as Candlemass songs.
On 27 April 2019, Burn Records would release a cassette of a live performance of Nemesis from November 1983. Candlemass would notably sell it at their festival and tour dates, 100 of which were signed by Leif Edling and came with a Nemesis t-shirt, the first of which ever pressed.
- Tales of Creation (Demo) (1983, Independent)
- The Day of Retribution (EP) (1984, Fingerprint)
- The Black Heart Of Candlemass - Demos & Outtakes '83 - '99 (Leif Edling Compilation) (2003, Powerline)
- Live Vilunda High School '83 (Live Album) (2019, Burn Records)
- Leif Edling - Bass, Vocals, Lyrics (1982 - 1984)
- Anders Wallin - Guitars (1983 - 1984)
- Christian Weberyd - Guitars (1983 - 1984)
- Anders Waltersson - Drums (1983 - 1984)
- Mats Björkman - Guitars (Unknown Time Period)
- Matz Ekström - Drums (Unknown Time Period)
- Klas Bergwall - Guitars (Unknown Time Period)