|Years active||1997-2003, 2013-present|
|Labels||MeteorCity Records, Blues Funeral Recordings|
|Associated acts||I Are Droid, Nebula, Sparzanza, Dozer|
|Current members|| Ola Hellquist|
Lowrider is a four piece stoner rock/sludge band from Karlstad, Sweden formed in 1997. They produced one album, a split EP and a split single in their original run between 1997 and 2003. The band returned for special reunion shows at DesertFest London and DesertFest Berlin in 2013, and are currently in the process of making a second album which would see release in 2020.
Lowrider were formed in 1997 in Karlstad, Sweden by Ola Hellquist (lead guitar and vocals), Niclas Stålfors (guitar), Andreas Eriksson (drums) andPeder Bergstrand (bass and vocals). Their sound upon formation was a mix between classic stoner rock and elements of sludge.
The band's first release came in their début year, when they released a split 7" single with fellow Swedish stoner rock band Sparzanza. The split featured one Lowrider song, 'Lameneshma', as well as the Sparzanza song 'Burnin' Boots'. Due to a printing error, 500 copies of the split were labelled on the wrong side. Of these 500 misprints, most were disposed of, though 50 copies were released with a note explaining the misprint and an alternative sleeve.
On April 27th 1999, Lowrider released a split EP with Nebula via MeteorCity. The split double EP featured eight songs, (four Nebula songs on the A side and four Lowrider songs on the B side). The first song from Lowrider's side of the split was 'Lameneshma' which had featured on their previous split. 
In 2000 Lowrider toured through Europe, playing 14 shows in 8 different countries with Co-Headliner Dozer. On September 19th of the same year, they released their first studio album, Ode to Io via MeteorCity. The album is seen as one of the great seminal records of the stoner rock scene; though Kerrang!, not a magazine well versed in stoner rock lore, did give Lowrider the 'Most Convincing Kyuss Clone' award as a result of the album.
It was originally reported that the band would be recording a second studio album, but in 2003, Lowrider disbanded, at the time seemingly permanently. Peder Bergstrand would go on to join the band I Are Droid.10 years after they disbanded, Lowrider were announced to play special one-off reunion shows at DesertFest London and DesertFest Berlin in April 2013. The reunion was initially orchestrated by Reece Tee, one of the main organisers of Desertfest London. When the band were announced for the Berlin show, Bergstrand stated that the shows were one-offs, with no plan to permanently reunite:
|“||The band is not considering permanently reforming and writing new songs for now, so if you want to see us on stage, don't miss that one-off show!||”|
— Peder Bergstrand
On 21st January 2015, it was confirmed via the band's facebook account that they were working on a new album.
|“||What I'm doing? Oh not much. Just going to Ola's to work on our first album in FIFTEEN YEARS||”|
— Lowrider, Facebook
In 2017 Lowrider would establish a Bandcamp page and release a deluxe version of "Ode To Io", featuring the songs from compilations and splits along with the album. On 21 February 2020 Lowrider would release Refractions, the band's first studio album in nearly twenty years. Refractions would gain positive critical reception. Currently the band is lined up to perform at the 2020 edition of Fuzz Festival, curated by Truckfighters.
- Ola Hellquist lead guitar, vocals
- Niclas Stålfors guitar
- Andreas Eriksson drums
- Peder Bergstrand bass, vocals
- Sparzanza / Lowrider (1997, MeteorCity Records)
- Nebula / Lowrider (1999, MeteorCity Records)
- Saguaro appeared on Molten Universe Vol. 1 (1999)
- David William Hughes appeared on the soundtrack for I Am Vengeance (2001)
- Freelance Fiend (originally performed by Leaf Hound) appeared on Sucking the 70s (2002)
- ↑ Lowrider Facebook Info, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 The Obelisk Buried Treasure: Lowrider & Sparzanza Split 7" Misprint, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ Conversation with Peder Bergstrand (confirmed by User:Gedmundo)
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Allmusic Nebula / Lowrider split, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ Allmusic Ode to Io, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ The Obelisk Friday Full-Length: Lowrider - Ode to Io, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ I Are Droid Facebook info, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ The Obelisk Lowrider Added to London DesertFest 2013, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ DesertFest Berlin 2013, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ The Heavy Chronicles Behind the scenes of DESERTFEST LONDON with Reece Tee, promoter of the festival, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ Doom Metal Front Swedish Lowrider Reunite at DesertFest, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ StonerRock.eu Stoned from the Underground 2013 guide, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ The Obelisk Lowrider and Dozer to Play London in February with Steak Supporting, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ Lowrider Facebook YES! HELLFEST 2014, HERE WE COME!, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ Lowrider Facebook What I'm doing? Oh not much..., first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ Discogs Molten Universt Vol. 1, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ Discogs I Am Vengeance, first accessed 18th July 2015
- ↑ Discogs Sucking the 70s, first accessed 18th July 2015
|Current Members||Ola Hellquist • Niclas Stålfors • Andreas Eriksson • Peder Bergstrand|
|Studio Albums||Ode to Io • Refractions|
|Splits||Sparzanza / Lowrider • Nebula / Lowrider|
|Associated Bands and Artists||Dozer • I Are Droid • Nebula • Sparzanza|