|Late For An Early Grave|
|Studio album by Victor Griffin|
|Released||November 4 2004|
|Recorded||1988 - 1993 in California|
|Label||Outlaw Recordings (2004)|
Stone Groove Records (2019)
|Victor Griffin chronology|
|Late For An Early Grave
Late For An Early Grave is a collection of demos re-purposed as a solo album by Victor Griffin (Death Row, Pentagram, Place of Skulls, etc.). These recordings were composed between 1988 and 1994 in California when Griffin was in a project known as Pistonhead. On these demos Griffin plays guitar, bass and vocals alongside a drum machine. Several of these songs would be re-recorded for both Pentagram and Place of Skulls.
The original release of Late For An Early Grave was on vinyl with ten songs. Outlaw Recordings released the original vinyl circa November 2004, limited to 500 copies along with 25 promos and 10 test pressings. A CD edition with two bonus tracks came in April 2005. Stone Groove Records would re-release Late For An Early Grave on 31 March 2019, limited to 500 CDs (25 of which were autographed by Griffin and including one of his picks.)
Tracklist[edit | edit source]
All songs written by Victor Griffin except where noted.
- 1. Late For An Early Grave (4:09)
- 2. Never Surrender (3:52)
- 3. Mainline (3:22)
- 4. Wolf's Blood (4:41)
- 5. Vampyre Love (3:47)
- 6. Too Late (4:25)
- 7. Pistonhead (4:59)
- 8. Feeling of Dread (2:36)
- 9. The Pusher / Iron Horse (5:31) (Hoyt Axton; Ian Kilmister, Eddie Clarke, Phil Taylor)
- 10. Ain't It Fun (5:00) (Jimmy Zero)
- 11. Son of Sam (5:09) (Cheetah Chrome, Peter Laughner)
- 12. Haywire (2:59)
Track Information[edit | edit source]
- Late For An Early Grave - Re-recorded for Victor Griffin's In-Graved (2013).
- Never Surrender - Re-recorded for Victor Griffin's In-Graved (2013).
- Mainline - A portion of this song would be re-worked into "Last Hit" on the 2003 Place of Skulls album With Vision.
- Wolf's Blood - Would be recorded with Pentagram for their 1994 album Be Forewarned.
- Vampyre Love - Would be recorded with Pentagram for their 1994 album Be Forewarned.
- Too Late - Would be recorded with Pentagram for their 1994 album Be Forewarned.
- Pistonhead - Originally written during Griffin's time in Pistonhead. This song was also demoed by Pentagram and later appeared on the 2002 Place of Skulls album Nailed as "Never Die".
- Feeling of Dread - Would be re-recorded for the 2002 Place of Skulls album Nailed. The song had been performed by Death Row and Pentagram, with a live rendition appearing on All Your Sins: Video Vault.
- The Pusher / Iron Horse - Two covers in one song: "The Pusher" being a Steppenwolf cover (Originally from the 1968 album Steppenwolf) while "Iron Horse" is a Motörhead cover (Originally from the 1977 album Motörhead).
- Ain't It Fun - A Dead Boys cover (Originally from the 1978 album We Have Come For Your Children).
- Son of Sam - A Dead Boys cover (Originally from the 1978 album We Have Come For Your Children).
- Haywire - Recorded in the Pistonhead sessions. Wino contributes additional vocals but is uncredited.
Personnel[edit | edit source]
External Links[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
|V·T·E Place of Skulls|
|Current Members||Victor Griffin • Lee Abney • Tim Tomaselli|
|Past Members||Ron Holzner • Greg Turley • Scott Weinrich • Dennis Cornelius • Pete Campbell • Dan Lively • Russell Lee Padgett|
|Studio Albums||Nailed • With Vision • The Black Is Never Far • As A Dog Returns|
|Other Releases||Place of Skulls Live! • Death Row Reunion 2000 • Love Through Blood|
|Associated Bands, Artists, Etc.||Death Row • Pentagram • The Obsessed • Trouble • Revelation • Cathedral • Late For An Early Grave • Victor Griffin's In-Graved|