|Genres||Progressive Metal, Hard Rock, Gothic Metal, Doom Metal, Death Metal|
|Years active||1990 - 1991, 1999 - Present|
|Labels||Sublife Records, Prophecy, The End, Season of Mist|
Beginnings (1990-2001) Edit
Green Carnation was created in 1990 by Terje Vik Schei, known as Tchort, before joining Emperor as a bass player. This circumstance gave rise to the breakup of the group and the formation of In the Woods ...
Tchort reformed band in 2000 to release its debut album, Journey to the End of the Night. This album is the heaviest from the band, fitting into doom metal with elements of folk. A year later, the band's second album, Light of Day, Day of Darkness, was released. It consisted of just one hour-long song and is regarded as one of the longest songs in metal. According to Tchort, the album is largely inspired by the death of his daughter and the birth of his son, whose child voice appears a few moments in the song.
Genre Branching and New Identity (2002-2007) Edit
In 2003, Green Carnation released its third album, A Blessing in Disguise, which was much more rock-oriented than its predecessors, but without losing the spirit of progressive metal. Gothic rock and hard rock influences are also present. The following album, The Quiet Offspring, was released through the American label The End Records, and continued with the transition of the group towards the grounds of hard rock and progressive rock. The album has a more commercial sound than its predecessors. In late 2005, the band released an EP titled The Burden Is Mine... Alone, which marked the debut of vocalist and bassist Stein Roger Sordal.
Acoustic Verses and the Future (2006-2013) Edit
At the beginning of 2006, the band released its fifth album titled Acoustic Verses, where they definitively separate from their metal roots without eschewing the progressive sound. According to the booklet for this album, Green Carnation planned to record the second part of the "The Chronicles of Doom" trilogy, which started with Light of Day, Day of Darkness, and will be titled The Rise and Fall of Mankind.
In February 2007, Green Carnation recorded a live DVD in which the band plays the entire Acoustic Verses album live, as well as other songs. The concert was recorded in front of a thirty meter high dam in the Norwegian mountains.
On October 18, 2007, Tchort announced that the other members of the Green Carnation had left due to the poorly organized American tour and subsequent financial and motivational losses. However, he stated that he would continue writing music under the name Green Carnation without playing live with the band. In an interview with Norwegian newspaper Fædrelandsvennen, Tchort commented on the future album The Rise and Fall of Mankind: "It is not released this year, no. The projects I am planning are so large that it will take some time to complete them."
Reunion and Leaves of Yesteryear (2014-Present) Edit
In 2014, the band announced their return to the stage with some concerts, in 2018 they released their live CD titled Last Day of Darkness. In December 2019, after the tour concluded, the band entered the studio to record a new album. Although it all seemed like the recording of The Rise and Fall of Mankind would resume, the band revealed that its title to be Leaves of Yesteryear, along with its artwork when the recording sessions concluded. The album was released on May 8, 2020. Two days earlier, the band did a live listening party via YouTube to introduce fans to the album.
Studio Albums Edit
- Journey to the End of the Night (2000, The End Records)
- Light of Day, Day of Darkness (2001, The End Records)
- A Blessing in Disguise (2003, Season Mist America)
- The Quiet Offspring (2005, Season of Mist)
- Acoustic Verses (2006, Sublife)
- Leaves of Yesteryear (2020, Season of Mist)
Extended Plays Edit
- The Burden is Mine… Alone (2005, Profound Lore Records)
Other Releases Edit
- Hallucinations of Despair (Demo, 1991, Self-released)
- The Trilogy (Box-set, 2004, Prophecy Productions)
- Alive and Well... In Krakow (Live DVD, 2004, Metal Mind Productions)
- A Night Under the Dam (Live DVD, 2007, Sublife)
- Last Day of Darkness (Live album, 2018, Prophecy Productions)
Current Members Edit
- Tchort - Guitar (1990-1991, 1999-Present)
- Stein Roger Sordal - Bass, Vocals, Guitars, Harp (2001-2007, 2014-present)
- Bjørn "Berserk" Harstad - Guitars, Slide guitars, Ebow (2001-2003, 2006, 2016-2017, 2019-Present)
- Kjetil Nordhus - Vocals (2001-2007, 2014-Present)
- Kenneth Silden - Keyboards, Piano, Rhodes, Strings, Mellotron (2005-2007, 2014-Present)
- Tommy Jacksonville - Drums (2016-Present)
Former Members Edit
- Christopher "C:M." Botteri - Bass (1990-1991, 1998-2001)
- Anders Kobro - Drums (1990-1991, 2001-2005)
- Christian "X" Botteri - Guitar (1990-1991, 1998-2001)
- Richart Olsen - Vocals (1990-1991)
- Alf T. Leangel - Drums (1998-2001)
- Bernt A Moen - Keyboards, Piano (2001-2004, 2005)
- Michael S. Krumins - Guitar, Theremin (2004-2007, 2014-2016)
- Øystein Tønnessen - Keyboards, Piano (2004)
- Tommy Jacksonville - Drums (2005-2007, 2014-2016)