|Also known as||Octane Bud|
|Genres||Doom Metal, Stoner Metal, Instrumental Rock|
|Years active||1998 - Present|
|Labels||Invada, Tonehenge, Tee Pee Records|
|Associated acts||End of Level Boss, Obiat, Blood Island Raiders, Crippled Black Phoenix, Akercocke, The Heads|
Gonga are a stoner/doom band based out of Bristol, England. Initially forming as Octane Bud before a quick name change, Gonga perform doom and stoner metal inspired by the likes of "Iron Monkey, Earth, Jimi Hendrix, Melvins, The Who, Obituary, Kyuss, Burning Witch and many other earth/soul moving bands/thoughts...". Though typically an instrumental power trio the band has collaborated with vocalists at varying points in their career, notably Joe Volk.
To date Gonga have released three studio albums along with regularly touring the United Kingdom and Europe.
Gonga was formed 1998 by Will Smalley, Thomas Elgie and George Elgie. Originally the band went by Octane Bud and were a purely instrumental trio until Joe Volk (Crippled Black Phoenix) would join the group as a part-time vocalist in 2001. By 2003 Volk would be full-time with the group as their first single in Stratofortress would see release, along with their first album (The eponymous Gonga) released via Tee Pee Records and Invada Records on 17 November 2003, followed by a tour of the UK alongside Mondo Generator. The band would perform at the likes of Download Festival and Glastonbury Other early gigs saw them performing with the likes of High on Fire, KK Null, Earth, Solace, Orange Goblin, Electric Wizard, Capricorns, Colour Haze and My Sleeping Karma among others.
In early 2004 Will Smalley left the band to be replaced by The Heads bass player Hugo Morgan. However, due to band commitments with The Heads later in the year, Morgan left. Another bass player, Hallam Kite, stepped into the position in 2006, but left later in the year as their eagerly awaited second album was being mixed. The open bass position briefly went to Chris West (Taint), before being filled by Peter Theobalds (ex-Akercocke) in mid 2007, with the now trio touring with Church of Misery that fall. Working again with Invada Records, Gonga would release their second album II: Transmigration on 9 June 2008 to positive reviews. To support the album the band would participate in festivals such as Duna Jam, ZXZW and The Invada Invasion.
The band would keep active through the next couple years with sporadic gigs alongside Taint, Brant Bjork and Voivod along with appearing at the inaugural Desertfest London. Gonga would also release an EP entitled Procession which was originally recorded in 2006 and 2007, the last recordings Joe Volk did with the band. Following a return to Duna Jam and gigs supporting The Sword work would begin on a third album. Signing to Tonehenge Records, Concrescence would see release on 7 October 2013, with the band appearing at Hard Rock Hell to support it that same month.
Gonga would tour in the Spring of 2014 surrounding appearances at Doomed Gatherings and Temples Festival, followed by a short tour surrounding an appearance at Stoned From The Underground. The band would also release a 12" single entitled Black Sabbeth, covering the song "Black Sabbath". Gonga remain active in the UK scene, performing sporadic gigs and sharing the stage with the likes of Monkey3, Alunah and The Obsessed just to name a few.
- Gonga (2003, Invada)
- II: Transmigration (2008, Invada)
- Concrescence (2013, Tonehenge)
- Strato-Fortress (7" Single) (2003, Invada)
- Mosquitoes / The Pomp (7" Single) (2003, Invada)
- From Under The Trees (EP) (2004, Invada)
- Precession (EP) (2012, Self-Released)
- Black Sabbeth (EP) (2014, Tonehenge)
- George Elgie - Guitars (1998 - Present)
- Thomas Elgie - Drums (1998 - Present)
- Latch Manghat - Bass (2007 - Present)
- William Smaley - Bass (1998 - 2004)
- Joseph Volk - Vocals (2001 - 2007)
- Hugo Morgan - Bass (2004 - 2006)
- Hallam Kite - Bass (2006 - 2008)
- Peter Theobalds - Bass (2006 - 2007)
- Matt Williams - Vocals (2007)
List of Known ToursEdit
- December 2003 UK Tour (With Mondo Generator) (2003)
- Winter 2004 UK Tour (2004)
- Blessed Black Wings UK Tour (With High on Fire) (2005)
- 2007 European Tour (With Church of Misery) (2007)
- Concrescence European Tour (2014)
- 2015 Mini-Tour (With Unhold) (2015)