Gas Giant during their reunion.
|Genres||Stoner Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Alternative Rock, Alternative Metal|
|Years active||1998 - 2006, 2015|
|Labels||Loudsprecher, Burnt Hippie Recordings, Nasoni Records, Swamp Room Records, Elektrohasch|
|Associated acts||Øresund Space Collective, Blind Man Buff|
Gas Giant was a stoner rock/alternative rock group from Copenhagen, Denmark. Active between 1998 and 2006 they were considered to be one of Copenhagen's premier stoner acts with a sound influenced by the likes of the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Pink Floyd and Black Sabbath.
Gas Giant began life in the mid-1990s as Blind Man Buff, with the founding lineup of Jesper Valentin, Pete Hell, Stefan Krey and Thomas Carstensen. Blind Man Buff would play for several years under that name before choosing a new name in Gas Giant circa 1998. The group would release their first album in Portals of Nothingness circa 1999 though largely sold independently. Upon signing to Burnt Hippie Recordings a heavy and spaced out follow-up in Pleasant Journey in Heavy Tunes saw release in 2001 and opened a lot of doors for the band. Following the release of Pleasant Journey, the band hooked up with drummer Tommy Dan Nielsen, who had been playing both hardcore/rap scene and various jam bands for a while. Along with Nielsen the band would recruit Scott Heller as a manager along with his synthesizer work, notably with him appearing on the 2001 split with We entitled Riding The Red Horse To The Last Stronghold Of The Freaks.
The new lineup was the perfect match for the band to move on to new musical levels. In 2003 with two albums in Mana and Jam Of The Month they set the order how to make heavy and spaced out stoner rock in the state of Denmark. The album was the best yet, and it defined Gas Giant once more as a big and spacious sound. Gas Giant would disband in 2006.
In 2015 Gas Giant would reform, performing more of an alternative rock/stoner rock sound. They mainly performed at festivals such as Dustown Fest in Berlin, Heavy Days in Doomtown in Denmark and Freak Valley Festival in Netphen before quietly disbanding once again.
- Portals Of Nothingness (1999, Self-Released)
- Pleasant Journey in Heavy Tunes (2001, Burnt Hippie Recordings)
- Jam of the Month (2003, Self-Released)
- Mana (2003, Nasoni)
- Blind Man Buff (EP; As Blind Man Buff) (1997, Self-Released)
- Demo '99 (Demo) (1999, Self-Released)
- Riding The Red Horse To The Last Stronghold Of The Freaks (Split with We) (2001, Burnt Hippie Recordings)
- Swamp Room Single Club (Split 7" with Good Witch of the South) (2002, Swamp Room)
- Mountain/Mama Cool (Split 7" with Colour Haze) (2004, Elektrohasch Schallplatten)
- Jesper Valentin - Vocals (1997 - 2006, 2015)
- Stefan Krey - Guitar (1997 - 2006, 2015)
- Thomas Carstensen - Bass (1997 - 2006, 2015)
- Pete Hell - Drums (1997 - 2001)
- Scott Heller - Synthesizer (2002 - 2004)
- Tommy Dan Nielsen - Drums (2002 - 2006, 2015)
- Gas Giant's Bandcamp
- Freak Valley Festival writeup
- Gas Giant live recordings at Archive.org