|stub. You can help Riffipedia by expanding it.|
|Genres||Psychadelic Rock, Stoner Rock, Heavy Metal, Progressive Rock|
|Labels||Kemado, Tee Pee Records, RidingEasy Records|
|Associated acts||Lecherous Gaze, Earthless, Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Witchcraft|
|Current members|| Gregory Meleney,
Dominic Casciato, Matthew Oliver, Peter Hughes
Danava (pronounced Dawn-uh-vuh) was formed in 2003 by Gregory Meleney, Monte Mattsson, Zachariah Dellorto-Blackwell and Ben Vargas.
Meleney and Mattsson had been friends in their youth; growing up in Quincy, Iowa, together. They met Dellorto-Blackwell in Iowa as well before moving to Portland. In Portland they met Vargas, and Danava was formed. They released a demo together into 2004, but soon after in 2005, Vargas left the band. He was replaced on synthesizer by Jared Rockwell, just before the band was signed by New York label Kemado Records. The band began touring extensively, recording their first album, Danava, in 2006 and their sophomore album, UnonoU, in 2008.
A video for the song "Where Beauty and Terror Dance," (UnonoU 2008) was released and shown on MTV2's Headbanger's Ball.
In summer 2008, Rockwell left the band for other musical pursuits on the east coast. In September 2009, Mattsson left the group to pursue his studies in biology and was replaced by Matthew Oliver. Andrew Forgash, a rhythm guitarist, also joined at this time.
In 2011 they released their full length album, Hemisphere of Shadows, and supported this album with a tour in Europe.
Danava has toured with Down (twice,) Voivod, Melvins, Acid Mothers Temple, Witchcraft (three times,) Uncle Acid & the Deadbeats, Lecherous Gaze, Thrones, Weedeater, Gentleman's Pistols and played at the 2008 Roadburn Festival in the Netherlands and the Muskelrock Festival in Sweden, 2013.
In 2013, bass player Dellorto-Blackwell left the band. He joined the Portland-based experimental rock band Serpent's Caul, reuniting with ex-Danava drummer Monte Mattsson. Shortly after, Forgash left to pursue a career in a different field and was replaced by rhythm guitar player Peter Hughes.
- Danava (2006, Kemado)
- UnonoU (2008, Kemado)
- Hemisphere of Shadows (2011, Kemado)
- Danava (Demo) (2004, Self-Released)
- Quiet Babies Astray in a Manger (12" Single) (2006, Kemado)
- Where Beauty & Terror Dance (7" Single) (2007, Kemado)
- White Nights Of Murder / I'll Cut You Down (Split 7" with Uncle Acid and the deadbeats) (2011, Kemado)
- Danava/Earthless/Lecherous Gaze (Split 12" with Earthless, Lecherous Gaze) (2011, Kemado)
- Heavy Devil Star-Crash: The 2004 Demos (2013, Unseen Forces)
- At Midnight You Die (7" Single) (2016, Tee Pee Records)
- Gregory Meleney - Guitar, Synthesizer, Vocals (2003 - Present)
- Matthew Oliver - Drums (2009 - Present)
- Dominic Casciato - Bass (2014 - Present)
- Peter Hughes - Guitar (2014 - Present)
- Zachariah Dellorto Blackwell - Bass (2003 - 2013)
- Monte Mattsson - Drums (2003 - 2009)
- Rosy Cross - Synthesizer (2003)
- Ben Vargas - Synthesizer (2003 - 2005)
- Jarred Rockwell - Synthesizers (2005 - 2008)
- Daniel Kim - Synthesizer (2008 - 2011)
- Andrew Forgash - Guitar (2009 - 2014)