|Origin||Swansea, Wales, United Kingdom|
|Years active||1991 - 1999|
|Labels||Shiver, Godhead Recordings, Leaf Hound Records, Game Two Records, Peaceville|
|Associated acts||Iron Monkey, Black Eye Riot, Dukes Of Nothing, Helvis, Lifer, Sigiryia|
Acrimony was a British stoner metal band who were active during the 1990s. Releasing their debut album in 1994, they are regarded as the pioneers of stoner metal in the United Kingdom, and an important influence upon the scene. Although the band never achieved mainstream success, during their career they received much critical acclaim – they were nominated for the Kerrang! Best Newcomer award and earned top review ratings. Acrimony have maintained a cult following in the British metal scene, their records reportedly selling for vast sums as collectors items.
Acrimony began in 1991 as largely a psychedelic/stoner/doom band in South Wales. With a series of demos recorded the band would record their debut releases in the 7" Solstice Sadness and their first album Hymns To The Stone. After the release of 1995's The Acid Elephant they'd gain the attention of Peaceville Records.
The band would release their second album Tumuli Shroomaloom in 1997. Produced by Andy Sneap the album would gain critical acclaim and even a nomination for Best Newcomer by Kerrang! Magazine. However the band split in 1999, Stu O'Hara joined Iron Monkey, before forming The Dukes Of Nothing that same year with members of Monkey. Acrimony's final studio demos, recorded with Tim Hamill, before they disbanded were used for a split with Church of Misery.
Stu O'Hara went on to play guitar in Iron Monkey before the outfit disbanded, then he went on to form the Dukes Of Nothing with other ex-Iron Monkey members and members of Orange Goblin. Lee 'Roy' went on to form Swansea-based crust/trampcore, power violence six-piece Black Eye Riot along with Stu and Dorian. Darren and Mead formed The 9ine and Mead has his own trance project Yeti. Lee'Roy' Davies now plays in heavy merchants LIFER. In 2008 Stu, Mead, Darren and Dorian re-grouped and wrote tracks as "Sigiriya", releasing an album called Return to Earth in 2011. A change of vocalist came in Matt "Pipes" Williams for 2013 release Darkness Died Today.
- Hymns To The Stone (1994, Godhead Recordings)
- Tumuli Shroomaloom (1997, Peaceville)
- A Sombre Thought (Demo) (1992, Self-Released)
- Advance 7" Tracks (Demo) (1993, Self-Released)
- Solstice Sadness (7") (1993, Shiver)
- The Acid Elephant (EP) (1995, Godhead Recordings)
- Motherslug (Split with Iron Rainbow) (1996, Game Two Records)
- Acrimony / Church of Misery (Split with Church of Misery) (2003, Game Two Records)
- Bong On - Live Long! (Compilation) (2007, Leaf Hound Records)
- Chronicles Of Wode (3CD / 4 LP deluxe box set), (2019, Burning World Records)
- Darren Ivey - Drums (1991 - 1999)
- Stuart O'Hara - Guitar (1991 - 1999)
- Lee Davies - Guitar (1991 - 1999)
- Dorian Walters - Vocals (1991 - 1999)
- Paul Bidmead - Bass (1993 - 1999)
- David Jones - Bass (1991 - 1992)