Album cover for initial pressings for the album.
|Studio album by Sunn O)))|
|Released||June 26 2000|
|Recorded||2000 at Grandmaster Studios in Hollywood, California, USA|
|Genre||Drone/Doom, Ambient, Sludge Metal|
|Producer||Scott Reeder, Sunn O)))|
|Sunn O))) chronology|
| The Grimmrobe Demos |
| ØØ Void |
| Flight of the Behemoth |
ØØ Void (pronounced in interviews as Double-Zero Void) is the debut studio album (And overall second studio release) by Sunn O))).
The album was recorded to 24 track 2" tape at Grandmaster studios in Hollywood, a large step forward in production values from the band's demo The Grimmrobe Demos. The album was produced by Kyuss bassist Scott Reeder and also features Pete Stahl and Petra Hayden from Goatsnake as a guest along with Sarin (Stephen O'Malley and EDGY 59) as a contributor.
The third track, "Rabbits' Revenge", is an interpretation of an obscure Melvins song that was only played live during their early years. A sample of the song can be heard about five minutes in and was culled from a live recording from 1985.
"NN O)))" is dedicated to the memory of Norma Nielsen.
The album was originally released in 2000, by Hydra Head in the USA, and by Rise Above in Europe and the United Kingdom. Dirtier Promotions issued a vinyl edition in 2003.
In 2008, ØØ Void was reissued, and released in Japan only, through Japanese record label Daymare Recordings. The reissue was a two-disc set, with the first disc containing all of the original tracks from ØØ Void and the second disc containing a collaboration between Sunn O))) and experimental/industrial group Nurse with Wound entitled The Iron Soul of Nothing. The album was re-released in the original single-disc format and on vinyl in 2011 by Southern Lord Recordings, with new album artwork by Stephen Kasner.
ØØ Void was also reissued on vinyl in 2011 on Southern Lord Records.
- 1. Richard (Dahlquist) - 14:32
- 2. NN O))) (Anderson) - 15:15
- 3. Rabbits' Revenge (Melvins) - 14:01
- 4. Ra At Dusk (Invokation 274 SPDR) (O'Malley) - 14:43
- Greg Anderson AKA The Duke - Guitar, Bass, Producer
- G. Stuart Dahlquist AKA G: Subharmonia - Bass, Producer
- Stephen O'Malley AKA MK Ultra Blizzard - Guitar, Bass, Producer, Art Direction
- Petra Haden - Violin
- Pete Stahl - Vocals
- Scott Reeder - Bass, Recording, Producer
- Philip Easter - Mastering
- Sarin - Guest (Recorded 1997)
- Melvins (Buzz Osborne, Dale Crover & Matt Lukin) - Live Recording circa 1985
- Stephen Kasner - Artwork
- ↑ YouTubeThe melvins live in 1985. At the Gorilla Gardens! (16:52 in the video here), Accessed 20 June 2016